When you are on a low-carb diet, Cauliflower is thee best friend you could ever have. I remember how enthusiastic I was when I started Banting. By week 2 though, I was out of ideas with cauliflower. All I knew was how to boil/steam it.
I then stumbled upon this recipe, which I twisted a bit and it really saved my life.
Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 head cauliflower, (to make about 4 cups processed cauliflower)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. finely grated Cheddar
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 c. feta
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Boil it for 3 min, remove from heat and let it cool. Then grate the cauliflower.
- In a medium bowl, combine processed cauliflower, eggs, feta and oregano. Mix until evenly combined then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Base the pan with either coconut oil/butter, then scoop the cauliflower mixture into a small patty on one side of the pan. Repeat to form a second patty on the other side. (These are your “bread” slices.) Press down on both pieces with a spatula and cook until golden underneath, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the other sides are golden, about 3 minutes more.
- Top one cauliflower slice with grated cheese then place the other cauliflower slice on top. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
When I tried this recipe for the first time, it came out perfectly, I was absolutely proud of myself. The second time though, the cauli ‘bread’ stuck to the pan. I just decided to go along with it and mix everything. You know, like you would turn your fried eggs into scrambled when they decide to stick to the pan.
This accident produced thee best caulirice ever, full of taste and flavour. My kids tried and approved it, and we know how kids hate cauliflower. Now they prefer caulirice over normal rice.